The Koa Club Newsletter January 2024
Live Boldly, Inspire & Lead:
Be Bold in Networking & Relationship Building
“Successful networking is about building relationships, not collecting business cards” says Ivan Misner, Founder and Chief Visionary Officer, BNI and often known as “Father of Modern Networking”.
We often encourage our members to invest time and effort into building and nurturing relationships, which we know can reap numerous benefits in their personal and professional lives. When you connect with others who can provide valuable insights, advice, and opportunities for collaboration or career advancement, it can help expand your reach and increase your chances of finding new opportunities that may not be available through traditional channels. It can also provide you with a strong support network to offer guidance, advice, and mentorship during challenging times or important decision-making processes. By building relationships at work, you may be able to find mentors and sponsors who can guide you and provide valuable insights, helping accelerate your career growth and workplace success.
In today’s newsletter, we share our top 5 tips on how to be bold and effectively network and build relationships at work which will be essential for your professional growth and success:
1. Be proactive: Take the initiative to reach out and connect with colleagues and superiors. Attend office events, join professional groups, and engage in conversations with others. If you are unsure how to enter into a conversation with others, it may help to first think about some topics that you feel comfortable discussing, and where possible. look for some common ground to help initiate and sustain the conversation. If you work remotely, consider inviting someone from work to a virtual coffee chat (done over a video call or online communication platform) to discuss work-related topics, share ideas or simply get to know each other better in a casual setting.
2. Show genuine interest: When interacting with others, listen attentively, maintain eye contact and show genuine interest in what they have to say. Ask follow-up questions to demonstrate that you are engaged in the conversation. People appreciate being heard and it can encourage them to continue the conversation.
3. Be a good communicator and maintain a positive attitude: Develop strong communication skills, both verbal and written. Be clear, concise, and respectful in your interactions. Effective communication helps in building trust and rapport. Don’t forget that you communicate with your body language as well – a positive body language can make you appear more approachable and encourage others to initiate conversations with you. Approach interactions with a positive and friendly demeanor. Positivity is contagious and can help create a pleasant work environment where people feel comfortable connecting with one another.
4. Offer support and help: Be willing to lend a helping hand to your colleagues. Offer support, share your expertise, and collaborate on projects. This not only strengthens relationships but also builds a positive reputation.
5. Be reliable and trustworthy: Build a reputation for being reliable and trustworthy. Be true to your word, meet deadlines, and follow through on commitments. This fosters trust and credibility among your colleagues.
Remember that building relationships takes time and effort, so it’s important to be patient and persistent in your networking efforts. Even more importantly, make sure you consistently nurture your connections in order to establish meaningful and long-lasting relationships.
Famous English poet, John Donne, coined the phrase “No man is an island” in his work “Meditation XVII” published in 1624 to express his idea that humans are interconnected and dependent on one another for support and companionship. We interpret that metaphorical expression as a powerful reminder of the fundamental human need for connection, community and a sense of belonging, which encapsulates the very essence of The Koa Club.
We encourage you to join our community, if you are not already a member, come learn together with others through our Follow My Lead programs and our member workshops and get to know the other members through various opportunities we provide to our members to network, collaborate and support one another. Together, we can create a vibrant and thriving community that fosters genuine connections and opens the door to new possibilities.
Be bold and start building those key relationships using the tips we shared today! We know you can do it and we wholeheartedly believe in you.